Dr. Dhillon has been in practice for 12 years with Colonial Orthopaedics after completing fellowship training at New York University - Hospital of Joint Disease in New York. Dr. Dhillon is board certified in orthopedic surgery and has additional qualifications with CAQ (certificate of added qualification) in hand surgery and also in Sports Medicine.
Apart from his interest in general orthopaedics and fracture care, he specializes in treatment of hand, elbow and shoulder along with sports medicine and advanced arthroscopic surgery for the wrist, elbow, shoulder and knee.
He also performs wrist, elbow, shoulder and knee joint partial and total replacements. He also specializes in microsurgery of the hand, nerve and tendon injuries and nerve compression syndromes and complex reconstruction of upper extremity problems.
Dr. Dhillon has been in orthopedics surgery since 1986 and his depth of experience allows him to provide comprehensive and complete orthopedic care to his patients. He helps his patients through a patient education process to learn about their disorders and participate more completely in their own care.
Education and Training
- Fellowship: NYU Medical Center and HJD, New York, NY, 2000, Hand & Upper Extremities
- Administrative Chief Resident: UMDNJ, Newark, NJ 1998-1999, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Residency: University of Medicine & Dentistry, Newark, NJ,1993- 1999, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Research Fellowship: UCSF, San Francisco, CA, 1993 – Orthopaedics, Hand & Micro vascular Surgery
- Post Graduate: Masters in Surgery, MAMC, Delhi University, New Delhi, India,1989
- Internship: Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India, 1985
- Medical School: Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), New Delhi, India, 1984
- Undergraduate: Government College, Punjab, India, 1980
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2002
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, CAQ Hand, 2005
- Colonial Heights Surgical Center
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Southside Regional Medical Center
- Richmond Community Hospital
- St. Francis Medical Center
- CJW Medical Centers, Johnston Willis Campus & Chippenham Campus
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Fellow
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand – Active Member
- American Medical Association
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Richmond Orthopaedic Club
Awards and Honor
- National Talent Merit Scholar–National Council for Educational Research and Training, 1978–1989
- Merit Scholarship–Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India, 1981–1983
- Resident Teaching Award–Orthopaedic Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, 1998
- Excellence Award-New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ For commitment to Research, Patient Care and Education, 1999
- Dhillon MS, Chu ML, Posner MA. Demyelinating focal motor neuropathy of the ulnar nerve masquerading as compression in Guyon’s canal: a case report. J Hand Surg [Am]. 2003 Jan;28(1):48-51.
- Melican, M., Zimmerman, M., Dhillon, M., Poonabalam, A., Goltz, D., Parsons, R., An Alternative Porous Surface For Bone Ingrowth: An Evaluation of Three Dimensional Printing In A Transcortical Canine Model J. of Biomaterials Research.
- Hagiwara, S., Egelke, K., Yang, S.O., Dhillon, M.S., et al Dual Absorptiometry Forearm Software: Accuracy and Intermachine Relationship, J. Bone and Mineral Research 9(9): 1425-7, 1994
- Hagiwara, S., Egelke, K., Yang, S.O., Dhillon, M.S., et al Radiographic Absorptiometry for Bone Mineral Measurement of the Phalanges: Precision and Accuracy Study, Radiology 192(3)L 857-9, 1994
- The Extensor Mechanism of the Index Finger David L. Nelson, M.D., Manjit S. Dhillon, M.S., Jospeh Cheng, M.D., Rebecca S. Wolfer, M.D. – presented as a paper and scientific exhibit, ASSH, Orlando, Florida, 1991.
- A Biomechanical Analysis of New Suture Anchors Designed Specifically for the Hand David L. Nelson, M.D., Manjit S. Dhillon, M.B.B.S., M.S. – presented as paper, ASSH Residents and Fellows Meeting, 1992; Southern Medical Association, 1992 Meeting; FESSH meeting Brussels, Belgium, 1993; Leroy C. Abbot Society, UCSF, San Francisco, 1993; Science and Industry Exhibit, ASSH, 1993.
- Comparison of Pullout Strengths of Three Suture Anchors in Synthetic Substrate Manjit S. Dhillon, M.B.B.S, M.S., David L. Nelson, M.D. accepted for presentation, ASSH Residents and Fellows Meeting, 1993, Kansas.
- Accuracy of Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry Forearm SoftwareSatoshi Hagiwara, Seoung Oh Young, Manjit S. Dhillon, Klaus Engelke, et al – presented as poster at Fourth International Symposium on Osteoporosis, 1993, Hong Kong.
- Precision and Accuracy of Photodensitometry of Metacarpal Bone (Digital Image Processing) Satoshi Hagiwara, S.O. Young, Manjit S. Dhillon, Klaus Engelke, et al, accepted as paper for American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 1993.
- Effect of Sterilization Techniques on the Osteoinductivity of Human DBP in Athymic Rats Jergesen, H.E., Dhillon, M. – presented as poster at Orthopaedic Research Society, 1995, Orlando, FL.
- Effect of Human Recombinant Fibroblast Growth Factor on Osteoinduction by Human Demineralized Bone Powder in the Athymic Rat Jergesen, H.E., Dhillon, M. – presented as a poster at Orthopaedic Research Society, 1996, Atlanta, GA.
- An Alternative Porous Surface for Bone Ingrowth; An Evaluation of Three Dimensional Printing In A Transcortal Canine Model Dhillon, M., Melican, M., Zimmerman, M., Poonabalam, Parsons, R., - presented as thesis presentation at New Jersey Orthopaedic Society Meeting, Somerset, NJ, 1996; paper at Society for Biomaterials Research, 1997; Poster at ORS, 1997, San Francisco.