Karanvir Prakash, MD, MS, FAAOS
Sports Medicine, Foot & Ankle
Dr. Prakash has been in the tricities area for more than 15 years. He did his medical school in India at the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. At the age of 21, after finishing medical school, he did orthopaedics residency in India, England and at CV. He also did a research fellowship in Biomechanics at MCV for 2 years and then did fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine.
He is board certified in Orthopaedics and Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Prakash also has a certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine.
His special interests include Foot and Ankle and Sports medicine and total knee replacements. Dr. Prakash also has a specialization in wound care and is also board certified by Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society. He has a busy wound practice as well. As part of comprehensive bone care, he also has expertise in Osteoporosis and has been Certified Clinical Densitometrist since 1998.
Dr Prakash has also been involved with amputee care in underdeveloped countries and assists as a clinical consultant with an NGO that works and funds for over 20-30% of the worlds young amputee population. He also assists in Pediatric Oncology and palliative care. He and his family support a college of Physical Therapy in India.
Dr Prakash has worked in leadership positions in medical staff at the local hospitals and is presently is chief of medical staff at the Southside Regional Medical Center and runs a busy practice here in the southern Chesterfield and Tricities.
Education and Training
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1996, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA – Research Fellowship, 1989-1991
- Residency: Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA, 1995 – Orthopaedic Surgery
- Internship: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 1983
- Medical School: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 1982
- Undergraduate: Delhi University, Delhi, India, 1977
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1998
- Certified in Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Southside Regional Medical Center
- Richmond Community Hospital
- St. Francis Medical Center
- CJW Medical Centers, Johnston Willis Campus & Chippenham Campus
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Fellow
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Professional Wound Care Association
- American Medical Association
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Richmond Orthopaedic Club
- Vice-Chief of Staff, Southside Regional Medical Center, 2007-2009
- Secretary, Southside Regional Medical Center, 2005-2007
- Chief of Surgery, John Randolph Medical Center, 2005-2006, 1997-1998
- Board of Trustees, John Randolph Medical Center, 2007-present
- Muscle Studies in Scoliosis. Presented to A.I.I.M.S., New Delhi as Partial Fulfillment for the Degree of Master of Surgery in Orthopaedics, June 1986. Guides: P.K. Dave, (Professor or Orthopaedics), A. Jayaswal, (Assistant Professor or Orthopaedics), S.C. Maheshwari, (Professor of Neurology), S. Roy, (Professor of Neuropathology).
- Jayaswal, A., Prakash, K., Bisaria R., Bhan S., Dave, P.K., Mukerji, A.: Chondrobastoma, Two Contrasting Presentations. Indian J. Pediatrics, 1987.
- Bhat, A., Kumar, A., Prakash, K., Malviya, A.N.: Rheumatoid Arthritis in Association with Skeletal Flourosis. J. Assoc. Phys. India 34 (4) : 296-298.
- Singh G., Kaul, R., Sachdeva, U., Khan, W.A., Prakash, K., Wasir, H.S., Malviya, A.N.: Comparison of Calmodulin Inhibitor and Calcium Channel Blockers as Peripheral Vasodilators. Indian J. Physiol. Pharmac 27 (5): Supplement 1: p87, 1983.
- Wasir, H.S., Singh, G., Kaul, R., Prakash, K., Et al: Comparative Study of Trifluperazine Nifedipine, Dipyridamole and Intra-arterial Reserpine in Digital Blood Flow in Raynaud’s Phenomenon. India Heart Journal, 35 (5): 306, 1983
- Singh, G., Kaul, R., Sachdeva, U., Khan, W., Prakash, K., Chhina, G.S., Malviya, A.N.: Vasoldilators in the Treatment of Raynauds Phenomenon – A Double Blind Trial, Proc. 1st World Congress on Inflammation, Antirheumatics, Analgesics and Immunomodulators, Venice, Italy. P. 392, 1984.
- Malviya, A.N., Singh, G., Kaul, R., Prakash, K., Khan, W.A., Chhina, G.S., Sachdeva, U.: A Comparative Study of Trifluperazine, A Calmodulin Inhibitor, Nifedipine, Dipyridamole and Intra-reserpine on the Digital Blood Flow in Raynaud’s Phenomenon. Proc. 5th Seapal Congress of Rheumatology, Bangkok, Thailand, p. 236, 1984.
- Garg, A., Prakash, K., Gopinath, P.G., Malviya, A.N.: Esophageal Transit Time in Patients with Progressive Systemic Sclerosis, using Radionucleotide, 99m Tc. Indian J. Med. Res. 79 (Jan): 110-113, 1984
- Prakash, K., Rosario, P., Kim, S.: Esophageal Obstruction due to Beer Bottle Cap. N. Engl. J. Med., 321 (2):
- Rosario, P., Prakash, K., Albu, E., Gerst, P.H.: Dentureless Distension: Oat Bran Bezoars Cause Obstruction. J.of AM Geriatrics Society, May, 1990.
- Rosario, P., Gerst, P.H., Prakash, K., Katter, H.: Spontaneous Cholecystocutaneous Fistula – A Case Report. (Accepted by American Journal of Gastroenterology).
- Miller, B.M., Rosario, P., Prakash, K., Et al: Neonatal Enterocolitis, The Crack Connection. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 85 (6): 767-769, 1990.
- Prakash, K., Swarup, V., Nayar, U.: Acute Starvation and its effect on the developing Cerebellum of Rats-Neurophysicological Correlates. Presented to A.I.I.M.S., July, 1978.
- Prakash, K.: Osteomyelitis of the Pelvis – An Unusual Presentation. Presented at the Delhi Orthopaedics Society Meeting, 1986.
- Prakash, K.: Pseudoarthrosis of the Spine in Ankylosing Spondylitis. Presented at the Delhi Orthopaedics Society Meeting, 1986.
- Grover, D., Khurana, T.S., Pathak, R., Khurana, J.S., Prakash, K., Jayaswal, S., Paul, A.P.: Retinal Changes at High Altitudes. Presented at the XIV Annual Conference of the Indian Association of Sports Medicine, New Delhi, 1986.
- Khurana, J.S., Khurana, T.S., Prakash, K., Jayaswal, A., Bisaria, R.: The Rock Climbers Phalanx, (Digital Neuropraxia), A Case Report. Presented at the XIV Annual Conference of the Indian Association of Sports Medicine, New Delhi, 1986.
- Strain Pattern Distribution in Tibia and Fibula in Different Positions of the Foot and Ankle. Presented at the 1st World Congress of Biomechanics, Aug 1990 at San Diego and at the 9th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference, Miama, FL, Nov, 1990.
- Strain Pattern Distribution in Tibia and Fibula after Subtalar Fusion. Presented at the Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference, Miama, FL, 1990.
- The Significance of Syndesmosis Disruption in Ankle Injuries, Utilizing a Cadaveric Model. Accepted at the 9th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference., Miami, FL 1990.
- Martin, D., Prakash, K., Krause, W.R., Adelaar, R.S.: Biomechanical Evaluation of Patellar Knee Braces. Presented at the Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference, Miami, FL 1990.
- Haynes, Boyd, Prakash, K.,: Pull out Strength of Suture Anchors. Presented at the Residents Day, 1990.
- Prakash, K.: Syndesmotic Screw and Biomechanics of the Ankle. Presented at Combined Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, Banff, Canada, 1991.
- Prakash, K., Et al: Effect of Subtalor Fusion in Varus and Valgus on Midtarsal Motion and Effect on the Ankle. Presented at the American Foot and Ankle Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 1993.
- Prakash, K., Et al: Gait Analysis After Subtalar Fusion. Presented at the American Food and Ankle Society Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 1994.
- Lawhorn, K., Adelaar, R.S., Wayne, J.S., Prakash, K.: Effect of Ankle Fusion on Contact Area and Pressure in the Subtalar Joint. Presented at the American Foot and Ankle Society Meetings, Boise, ID, 1994.
- Carr, J.B., Prakash, K.: Strain Patterns in Proximal Tibia with Different Insertion Points for Tibial Nail. (Under preparation).
- Tuten, H. Robert, Prakash, Karanvir, Carr, James B.: Great Toe Interphalangeal Joint Dislocation with Sesamoid Entrapment. Contemporary Orthopaedics, Vol. 31, No.2, August, 1995.
- Wayne, Jennifer S., Lawhorn, Keith W., Davis, Kenneth E., Prakash, Karanvir, Adelaar, Robert S.: The Effect of Tibiotalar Fixation on Foot Biomechanics. Foot & Ankle International, December, 1997 p. 792.